Friday 27 April 2012

Book Club Friday


I'm linking up again with Blonde...Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!
I'm still partway through The Age Of Innocence by Edith Wharton which is what I'm currently reading so I'm reviewing a book I read a little while ago!

The Jane Austin Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler


Synopsis

In California's central valley, five women and one man join to discuss Jane Austin's novels. Over the six months they get together, marriages are tested, afairs begin, unsuitable arrangements become suitable, and love happens. With her eye for the frailties of human behaviour and her ear for the absurdities of social intercourse, Karen Joy Fowler has never been wittier nor her characters more appealing. The result is a delicious dissection of modern realtionships.

My Thoughts

I really liked this book! The focus was less on Austin and more on the characters reading her novels. Every month, each character focuses on one novel and their lives unfold following some of its themes and storylines. The characters were really likeable and you don't have to have read Austin to like it. Its well written and fun to read, for those of you who find Austin hard to read, this book gives you a little taste of each story. Its funny, sad, and highly entertaining. And there is a fabulous movie to watch after you have read it!

5 comments:

Abbey said...

Sounds really good! I've read three Austen books now, I think, so I bet it would be really fun in the parts they discuss the ones I've read!

Robyn said...

I read this book a few years ago and loved it-the film is very sweet to-one you can rewatch again and again-especially if you love Austin.

C said...

I've never read Austen, but this book sounds good. And I didn't know it was a movie either. Where have I been?

I’m visiting from BUB’s book club linkup!

Shoshanah said...

I've been wanting to read this book! I know there was a movie based on it a few years ago which I never saw. So once I read the book I'd love to see the movie as well.

Heather said...

That sound awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...